777 Albany Post Road, Scarborough, New York. 10510
Woodlea Mansion, one of the largest houses in the United States, known today as Sleepy Hollow Country Club, was owned by Colonel Elliott Fitch Shepard and his wife Margaret Louisa Vanderbilt Shepard. It was built in 1892-5 and was designed by the architectural firm McKim, Mead & White. The estate became a contributing property to the Scarborough Historic District in 1984.
The house has between 65,000 and 70,000 square feet of actual interior living space, making it one of the largest privately-owned houses in the United States. Colonel Elliott Fitch Shepard came to the Briarcliff area in the early 1890s, and having purchased the house and its 500-acre property, ordered construction of the existing house and improvements to the grounds. The club spent four years, starting in 1910, rearranging the house’s kitchen, pantries, and service wing to house and serve more people, and in renovating one of the stables into a garage. New facilities were built in the 1920s, including a manager’s house, skeet house, squash house, indoor riding ring, and swimming pool. The wing is situated at the house’s north; it is larger than most houses. The house’s windows are primarily rectangular, double hung, one-over-one panel style, except for a large triple Palladian window, which has stained glass and is situated midway up the house’s main staircase, illuminating its lower steps. In the 1920s, the old Butler Wright house became the golf house.
Built between 1892-1895
- 338 Acres
- 70,000 sq. ft.
- 140 Rooms