Shadow Lawn Mansion
400 Cedar Avenue West Long Branch, NJ. 07764
Interior, exterior and aerial photos page: 1
Woodrow Wilson Hall, formerly known as the Shadow Lawn mansion, is one of the largest homes in the world and was built in 1929 at a cost of $10.5 million as the private residence of former F.W. Woolworth Co. president Hubert Templeton Parson and his wife. The historic mansion encompasses some 130 rooms on three main floors, plus rooftop and lower-level rooms. In the main portion, there are 96 rooms, which include what once were 17 master suites and 19 baths. Each of the baths was decorated and furnished in a different period and had gold-plated or silver-plated fixtures.
In 1978, along with the University’s Guggenheim Memorial Library, Wilson Hall was entered in the National Register of Historic Places. Because Wilson Hall has been designated a National Historic Landmark, meticulous care in accordance with strict guidelines has been taken to maintain the original features of the building.
The grant, which was matched dollar for dollar by Monmouth University, has been used to restore and renovate the Wilson Auditorium and to develop a historic structures report for Wilson Hall. A rug woven in the Canary Islands and measuring 24 feet by 93 feet covered the main floor of the Great Hall, also known as Haslam Slocum Hall. Wilson Hall has been described in newspapers throughout the world, is featured in many books on architecture and art, and has been used as backdrop for innumerable print ads and television commercials. Woodrow Wilson Hall is the administrative center of the University, though classes are still held in the building.
- Built in 1927
- Built by Thompson-Starrett Co.
- Architectural Style Late 19th and 20th Centry Revivals