Indian Neck Hall
150 Idle Hour Blvd, Oakdale, NY 11769
Interior, exterior and aerial photos page: 1
Indian Neck Hall was built for “Commodore” Frederick Gilbert Bourne. Commodore Bourne hired architect Ernest Flagg to create this country estate and the Olmstead Brothers to design the landscape of more than 1000 acres. Built between 1897–1900 and then again between 1907–1908, the Federal Revival style mansion had 110 rooms when it was completed. In the past, it was also known as the La Salle Military Academy, today it is the Oakdale Campus of Saint John’s University.
Indian Neck Hall was a country residence of Frederick Gilbert Bourne, president of the Singer Sewing Machine Company. Located on the Great South Bay in Oakdale, New York, it was reputed to have been the largest estate on Long Island when it was built in 1897. The Georgian-style home was designed by a noted architect, Ernest Flagg. In 1926, the property was sold and became La Salle Military Academy. St. John’s University acquired the property in 2001 and offers a number of its graduate degree programs from the Oakdale campus.
- Built between 1897-1900
- 75,000 sq. ft.