1703 32nd St NW, Washington, DC 20007
Interior, exterior and aerial photos page: 1
The land of Dumbarton Oaks was formerly part of the Rock of Dumbarton grant that Queen Anne made in 1702 to Colonel Ninian Beall. Mildred and Robert Woods Bliss acquired the property in 1920, and in 1933 they gave it the name of Dumbarton Oaks, combining its two historic names. the Blisses engaged the architect Frederick H. Brooke to renovate and enlarge the house, thereby creating a Colonial Revival residence from the existing Linthicum-era Italianate structure.
Dumbarton Oaks Conference for the 1944 meeting that laid the groundwork for the United Nations; Concerto in E-flat for the concerto by Igor Stravinsky. The land of Dumbarton Oaks was formerly part of the Rock of Dumbarton grant that Queen Anne made in 1702 to Colonel Ninian Beall. Wishing to increase the scholarly mission of Dumbarton Oaks, in the early 1960s the Blisses sponsored the construction of two new wings, one designed by Philip Johnson to house the Robert Woods Bliss Collection of Pre-Columbian Art and its research library and, the other, a garden library designed by Frederic Rhinelander King, of the New York City architectural firm Wyeth and King, to house the botanical and garden architecture rare books and garden history reference materials that Mildred Bliss had collected. At Mildred Bliss’s request, the Concerto in E-flat was subtitled \”Dumbarton Oaks 8-v-1938,\” and the work is now generally known as The Dumbarton Oaks Concerto. Dumbarton Oaks awarded the first fellowship in landscape architecture in 1956 under the provisions of the Dumbarton Oaks Garden Endowment Fund established in 1951 by the Blisses. In 1921, the Blisses hired landscape gardener Beatrix Farrand to design the gardens at Dumbarton Oaks, and for almost thirty years Mildred Bliss collaborated closely with Farrand. Copland dedicated the piece “To Nadia Boulanger after forty years of friendship.” In 2006, Dumbarton Oaks commissioned Joan Tower to compose Dumbarton Quintet, which was premiered in the music room on April 12, 2008, with the composer at the pian
- First House Built between 1764-1818
- 77,000 sq. ft.