Photo 1 out of 23 picturing Wikiosco, Lake George
3232 Lake Shore Drive, Lake George, NY 12845
Interior, exterior and aerial photos page: 1
This historic estate for sale is also known as the Peabody Estate because it was built by Royal C. Peabody, who founded the Brooklyn power company.
From the listing with Landvest: “Wikiosco, Algonquin Indian for Home on Beautiful Waters, was built in 1895 for Royal Canfield Peabody, founder of Brooklyn Con-Edison. Royal’s son Charles Samuel Peabody, a noted architect with the firm Ludlow and Peabody, designed the 20,000 square foot Tudor Revival mansion. The Tudor Revival style has a stuccoed frame above a raised basement with a first floor of rough cut granite ashlar. The stone terrace and semi-circular veranda provide spectacular views of Lake George. Upper floors have decorative half-timber framing, gable dormers and sleeping porches. During construction, an elevator was installed so that Mr. Peabody’s wife, confined to a wheelchair, would be able to use all three floors of the home.
Wikiosco remained in the Peabody family until 1946 when it was sold and converted to a resort called The Holiday House. Then, in 1974 it became a restaurant known as Blenheim on the Lake. In 1984, while still operating as the Blenheim, the house was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. The current owners purchased it in 1990 and lovingly restored it to its original grandeur and name.
Today, Wikiosco remains substantially as built, both inside and out, and is one of the last remaining mansions from the early twentieth century “Millionaires Row” on the western shore of Lake George between Lake George Village and Bolton Landing.”
- 20,000± square foot three story main residence offers seven bedrooms, twelve bathrooms and seven fireplaces
- Original carved oak doors, decorative carved built-ins, oak beams, stain-glassed windows, crown moldings and wainscoting throughout
- Elevator services all three floors
- Circular screened veranda with entertainment bar and eye-catching views
- A 4,000+ bottle capacity wine cellar with temperature and humidity control and full service bar area in the lower level
- Nautilus exercise room with Steamer, Sauna and two locker rooms
- 20 yard heated fiberglass pool with outdoor kitchen and Trex decking
- Two bedroom guest cottage
- 12-bay garage with car wash and detailing area
- Dock with 4 slips and 2 covered, lighted boathouses
- Tennis court design by Sidney Woods, winner of the 1928 Wimbledon
- 3232 Lake Shore Drive, Lake George, NY 12845